Genially

 

Last week I divided the class into couples and I showed them Genially. They loved it, they are in 1ESO and it was their first contact with it. I showed them several possibilities and all of them chose Gamification so I let them choose one of the games templates and we were working on questions/answers for a couple of classes. I have been helping them, of course, to find and formulate questions and finding the answers, making sure that the rest of the groups didn’t see them.


Finally they had the weekend to create the Genially, one of the students of each couple was responsible for the language (translation, vocabulary and grammar) and the other was responsible to pass all the information to their template.


Well, today was the great day for them and they had to present their projects to the class; as they were all games and quizzes there was not much to worry about, basically they just had to ask their classmates (by heart) or reading the questions from the whiteboard and the rest of the class had to choose the correct answer. It was a bit of a mess but much fun for them and an easy way to practise speaking, encourage their self-esteem and lose their fear of public speaking.

This is the link to one of the projects:

 

https://view.genial.ly/5fd66e5c37663f0d6c0477d0/game-jesus-y-adonay 

 

And this is their picture:


The most important aspect I would highlight is that they (most of them) have lost a bit of their fear of public speaking and they have had a lot of fun. Something I would change for next time? I wouldn't assign all of them the same type of template, by the end of the class they were a bit tired of quizzes.

 

Comentarios

  1. Hello, my name is José López and I am a classmate from the English and ICT course.
    I write this post because I liked your blog and all the activities that you have designed. I would like to highlight the Genially on history, since the questions are very funny and the way of giving feedback to the students is very original, as well as the way of working on tasks with your 1st grade Secondary students.
    Regarding the activities created with Pixton and EdPuzzle, I have not been able to access them, although I have seen the selected YouTube video, as well as the capture of the comic designed with Pixton. It's a shame not being able to see such activities!

    Bye. Congratulations on your blog.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hello Alberto,
    All the contributions throughout your blog are highly appreciated. Actually some of them have given me new perspectives on apps such as Genially. I would like to start by drawing attention to the way you used Genially to carry out a quiz game. I find the game templates really helpful to go over previous contents, i.e., grammar, vocabulary, or even a reading comprehension activity. The choices are great in number and diverse, and I will definitely try to get the most out of it. As far as the TimeToast activity is concerned, I totally agree with you when you claim that it is an extremely useful tool for students not only to organise their ideas, but also to enhance their reading-comprehension skills.
    On the other hand, regarding some of the aspects that could be improved in your contributions, I sometimes noticed that a precise lesson planning or a step-by-step learning process with specific learning goals was somehow missing. For instance, when you carried out the Edpuzzle task with your students, it would have been more productive if you had divided the activity into three stages, i.e., pre-listening, while-listening, and post-listening. Needless to say, students need as much guidance as possible and clear instructions. As you have already realised, when you used Pixton with your students, the lack of precise learning objectives led to a random activity from my point of view. As you pointed out, a contest is a good way to stimulate students' motivation and encourage creativity.
    Thank you again for your great job.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Final activity

Let me introduce myself

Pixton